Become a school governor
Want to make a difference in your community, and develop your own professional skills? By volunteering as a school governor you can do both.
We are looking for enthusiastic, committed people with a passion for education to join our team of governors.
What is the role of a governor?
- Contributing to the development of the school’s strategic direction in line with the Trust strategy, vision, values, aims and objectives
- Reviewing and monitoring plans for improvement
- Supporting and challenging the headteacher and school leaders to improve the educational performance of all pupils
- Ensuring that the school is a safe and happy place for pupils and staff
What does the role offer?
- A chance to develop your own personal skills
- Access to a programme of free training in respect of education/governance matters
- A sense of achievement in helping make a difference to children reaching their potential
- The support and guidance from fellow governors
All school Governors serve a 4-year term, and are essential for the effectiveness and success of our schools. It is an extremely rewarding and fulfilling role. They act as a ‘critical friend’, working voluntarily to strategically oversee the running of the school. There are 6 meetings a year, which are a mix of face to face and via Zoom.
We would be delighted to hear from anyone who:
- Is interested in children’s education and the performance of the school
- Has spare time and the energy for the role
- Can work well as part of a team
- Has an enquiring mind and the confidence to ask questions and debate issues that affect the school
- Can consider matters objectively and make informed judgements
If you would like to discuss any aspects of the role before submitting an application of interest, please contact us and a member of the local governance committee will be more than happy to call you for an informal chat.
We look forward to hearing from you.
Our governors have a variety of skills and experience, but all share a common interest of wanting the best possible education for the children in our schools.